If you have been injured in a car or motorcycle accident, you should consider making a claim for money damages against any available insurance company. Under California law, you are injured by the negligence of another, you are entitled to money damages to include:
1. Past medical bills
2. Future medical bills
3. Past wage or earnings loss
4. Future wage or earnings loss
5. Pain and suffering, including emotional distress and upset.
6. Property damage (cost to repair or market value, whichever is less)
7. Loss of use of property or a rental car while your car is being repaired
The major insurance companies have well trained teams of adjusters whose job is to avoid paying you or to minimize the amount you get. You should have an experienced Santa Rosa personal injury attorney to fight for your rights and get the money damages to which your are entitled by law. Here are some things you should know about insurance claims for accidental injuries:
1. You should be represented by an experience personal injury attorney. At the Law Offices of Kevin McConnell, we have recovered millions for our clients. We never charge a fee unless we win your case. We advance all the costs needed to prosecute your claim and arrange for proper medical treatment if needed. Our fees come out of the recovery from the insurance company. If we don’t win you don’t pay. Usually we can recovery enough additional money to cover our fees so you actually net more money than trying to negotiate on your own.
2. Insurance companies will try to minimize the amount they pay to you. They have a long list of “reasons” why your claim is not worth more money. Most of these so called “reasons” are pretty flimsy excuses for trying to save the insurance company money at your expense.
3. You may be entitled to a substantial damage award even if the accident was partially your fault. California has a system of comparative fault which allows you to recover the full amount of your damages less the proportionate share of your fault in causing the accident. For example, you have $100,000 in damages but are 50% at fault, you can still recover $50.000.
4. You may be entitled to recover from several insurers, not just the insurance for the other party. Many folks have medical insurance (or Medicare or Medi-Cal) which can cover the cost of treatment while you are waiting to settle with the adverse insurance company. In addition, your policy may provide medical payments coverage or earnings protection coverage which you can draw on while the case is pending. Many of these coverages have to be paid back in part when you settle your case but these are very helpful while you are waiting for the case to settle. An experienced personal injury attorney will help identify and collect from all possible sources.
5. You don’t have to make a statement to any claims adjuster right away. They will frequently try to get your statement very early in the process before the full extent of your injuries is known. Then they will use your statement to try to reduce your recovery when it is time to settle. You should consult with a Santa Rosa Personal Injury Lawyer to evaluate your situation before going on the record with an insurance company.
At the Law Offices of Kevin McConnell we are happy to provide a free, confidential, no obligation consultation in every case. Call today to speak with an experienced Santa Rosa Personal Injury Lawyer at (707) 696-8800 or contact us on line.
Making an insurance claim and getting the compensation you are entitled too can be fairly complex and very daunting, especially if you are injured and not feeling well. Contact the Law Offices of Kevin McConnell today for a free consultation with an experienced Santa Rosa Personal Injury Attorney today. You have already been injured; don’t let yourself be victimized by sharp claims practices or bully tactics of the big insurance companies!